Biomedical Physio & Kines
Course
BPK 205
Professor
Parveen Bawa
Semester
Summer

Description
1. Using the blood pressure regulation ‘flow chart’, indicate at what points (variables) various pharmacological agents act to treat high blood pressure. 2. Describe how the body adapts physiologically to hypovolemia. Explain the consequences of losing > 30% blood volume. a. 10 % blood loss i. Initial result: 1. reduction of BV, SV, Q, BP, TPR ii. Response: (baroreceptors sense loss in BP) 1. Q: a. SNS  Beta adrenergic stimulation  HR + SV  Q b. SNS  Alpha adrenergic  vasoconstriction  increase Resistance and BP c. Q returns to normal after 2. HR a. Slightly higher HR because SV did not completely recover back to normal level (needed for Q to recover to normal) 3. TPR: a. Vasodilation at vital organs b. Vasoconstriction at non-vital organs c. After initial TPR increase, the TPR returns to normal within 15 min b. >30% blood loss i. Physiological changes ii. Blood flow to non vital organs significantly reduced iii. Blood flow concentrated towards vital organs (Brain, Heart) 3. Outline the changes that occur in HR, SV, and arterial pressure during an acute bout of exercise. a. HR i. SNS  Beta adrenergic stimulation  HR (linear increase) ii. Decreased PNS, none over 130 bpm b. SV i. SNS  [Ca[  contractility  increases SV ~30% ii. Greater emptying not filling c. Arterial Pressure i. Increas
More Less

Related notes for BPK 205

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit