History (652)
HIST 1001 (126)

HIST 1001-B Oct. 30,2012.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
HIST 1001
Hal Goldman

Beowulf - October 30, 2012 • Origin: Oral tale where it was a book that probably changed over time • Argued that a monk wrote it • “Best explanation” – series of oral tales told over hundreds of years eventually written down in the 8-11 century • Written in Anglo-Saxan and not Latin • Germanic warriors who invade and occupy after Rome rushes England • The Germanic people rush into fill the void in England • First literature written in the local language of the people • “Vernacular” language • We think it was written by a monk because at the time only church people were literate. • Story is about the Scandinavians (German relatives), not the Anglo-Saxons • Fair amount of cultural communication with Northern Europe • Begins with a discussion of the genealogy of the Danes • Gives the people lineage – trace back to the heroes • Story begins any way any meeting between two Germans meeting would go ->First question you ask when you meet a fellow German is ‘Who are your people?’, ‘Who is your lord?’ ’Who are you?’ ‘What have you done?’ Find out whose side you are on, how do I position myself to you. What is your loyalty in position to me? • People are defined by their tribe, who they are and what actions they’ve done • Tells people how to be dealt with (Do I need to be afraid of you or do I dominate you?) • Hrothgar -> Success in battle, is a good king, protects his people built Herot, was generous – “Ring giver” • A good leader is generous with his men • He is an alpha wolf -> lead by warriors with consensus • Grendel the monster who hears about all the happiness comes in and rampages, killing the people for 12 years. • King is developing a reputation for not being able to protect their people • Geates hear about Gredel -> Gathers 13 followers and outfit themselves with outfits of war • Discovered by Hrothgar coastguard • Beowulf does not identify himself • “Come into hall, but leave weapons here” • “Okay, but we’ll leave some men here to guards here” • -> Trust but verified • Only before Hrothgar’s herald will Beowulf identify himself. “my name has power, I will not tell my name to lesser people” • Hrothgar knows who Beowulf because Hrothgar knows Beowulf’s name -> Beowulf’s father fled to Hrothgar and Hrothgar paid
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1001

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.