Law
Course
LAWS 2502
Professor
Stacy Douglas
Semester
Winter

Description
Idea of the "Living Tree Doctorine" •Law is a growing concept that is constantly changing and is different o Example of the Edwards v. Canada case (1929) • AKA persons case whether or not women could sit in the senate and qualify as persons • Where the living tree first came out The English Civil War and the Check on Arbitrary Power o Divine Right of things • Idea that kings had right and their power derived from God • Until early 1600s, the british Monarch's legitimacy was supported by the doctrine of divine right of kings o Parliament did not exist, they were known as the privy council, it was merely a temporary advising committee for the sovereign o Unfair taxation and anti-Catholic sentiments • Parliamentarians attempted to limit king's arbriatrary power o English civil war was fought between Royalists and Parliamentarians • Two factons began to emerge, people who thought king should be kept in check • People who thought that the parliamentarians who were crazy and supported continued rule of the king without the rule of parliament o By 1688, the role of the Monarch was re-established by tempered with a Bill of rights • 1600s was important for establishment of a Monarchy, important for Canada and the merging idea of the rule of law •English Civil War o 1597: We have a book by James I, who wrote about "The True Law of Free Monarchies and Basilikon Doron" Wrote about divine right of kings, was King of Scots o 1603: Queen Elizabeth I dies and James I takes the throne o 1603-1610: Guy Fawkes tried to kill James I because James I hated Catholics and were repressing them, but Fawkes was a revolutionary Catholic • Decided to go into Parliament underneath and blow it up o 1606: November 5th, Gun powder plot was exposed, he was sentenced to hang in 1606 in January o 1610: James I was criticized for his use of arbitrary power. Two significant cases - The Case of proclamations (1610) and Dr. Bonham's case (1610) mark important checks on the King's power o 1625: He dies and Charles I takes the throne • In 1628, Parliament presents Charles with the Petition of Right • Charles I signs then dissolves Parliament for the next 10 years o 1642-1648: English Civil War o 1649-1660: The Protectorate Revolutionaries have cut off the head of the king • Run by Oliver Cromwell, military figure that leads the Protectorate • Dies in 1658, his son takes over, people hate it and overthrow • Charles II takes the throne in 1660 o 1688: The Restoration happens, end up with a constitutional monarchy • Monarchy with constitutional pieces to check that power • 1880s: The Glorious revolution: no bloodshed • Two books are written during this period: o Leviathan (1651) by Hobbes, who said that there needed to be o Two Treatises of Government (1689): Two Treatises of Government • 1650s: British colonization of the Americas and Africa begins British Empire- territorial expansion • British Overseas colonial endeavours followed the trends started by Portugal and Spain • Territorial expansion increased steadily from the 1500s until the 1900s • The empire was strengthed by the strategic settlement processes, also known as settler colonialism in countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Israel and Canada o Settler colonialism is known as putting settlers on the land to take it over • Take the poor from England, set them in Canada, and keep others off
More Less

Related notes for LAWS 2502

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit