• Consequences of non vaccination, for utilitarian's it is the bad consequences that explain
o Kant --> wrongness cannot come from material consequences, material things
can't justify moral claims
• Wrongness of not getting kid vaccinated is not consistent with what we
should do in society
Wrongness is in inconsistency
• Logic and consistency is objective, wants to capture it and keep it
What is the inconsistency when you call someone a hypocrite?
o Hypocrisy is a loose notion
• Criminal could call a judge a criminal -> "you wouldn't want to be treated
like I am in my condition"
What if everyone broke promises?
• Dangerous things and harmful things that may be disastrous if they
Using Kant's argument, some countries are irrational and some
• Idea of maybe a coalition of purely humanitarian countries
acting according to norms that are stable and reputable?
What is the type of problem that will come about if everyone does
• Mill, in the 19th century did not say "let's get well meaning powers like
Britain wherever it will include happiness, there should be a norm of non-
intervention between countries
In situations, Mill thought it would be better if we let countries
develop according to their own timeframe
• **Sensitive to the question, if everyone wrote the same
way in international affairs, would society in general collapse,
leading to wide scale problems?
• Kant cares about human misery, source of wrong is
that we can't have an international system that breaks the key
norms, it is inconsistent and will unravel
• Kant is a huge support of sovereign countries and Republics, leave doors
open to international organizations that would do it properly
• If we could have such an international organization, it could intervene,
there are two people who use Kantian principles, they are Kantians, they think
that the principles lead to intervention taking priority over national sovereignty
Consequentialists are a contemporary version of Utilitarian
Non-consequentialists deny that the ends justify the means ->
Kant was this
• People assume that if you go with Moral considerations, it
is wrong and we should consider it
• If you look at morality, prostitution is not good, but if