Spring 2018

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 1115
Professor
Kenneth Nauman
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
ATOMS 3MOLECULES
CHEMISTRY
The study of matter
>
matter -made up of atoms
>
mass
-
measure OF amount of matter in an object
>
element
-
one type of atom
>
ATOM -basic unit of matter
~25 elements are essential to life
>
C. 0,H,Nmake up 96% of living matter
>compound -2's elements
ATOMS
>
proton
-+charged
-
each element has °n 'Ve #Of PROTONS (mass #JNucleus
-#of e
-=#of p(Neutral )
>
Neutrons -neutral
-
ISOTOPES -atoms Of same element w| diff #Of neutrons
°
some are unstable decay of nucleus diff element
radioactive decay
-
give off particles }energy
-
mass #=protons +neutrons
-
atomic weight
-
avg mass of all naturally occurring isotopes
>Electrons
-
vary in amount of nrg they possess
a
electromagnetic -light
e
Kinetic -due to motion -always has
potential -stored in object
-
temperature -measure of the average KE of particles
-
farther back from nucleus -more PEE
-
has
only be at certain distances
changing shells input of energy
°
z-8-8-16
.FULL SHELL not react (valence )

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ATOMS 3 MOLECULES CHEMISTRY The study of matter > matter - made of atoms up > - mass measure OF amount of matter in an object > - element one of atom type > ATOM - basic unit of matter ~ 25 elements are essential to life > C. 0 , H , N make up 96% of matter living > - 's compound 2 elements ATOMS > - + proton charged - each element has n 'Ve # Of PROTONS ( mass # Nucleus - - = J # of e # of p ( Neutral ) > - Neutrons neutral - - ISOTOPES atoms Of same element w| diff # Of neutrons some are unstable decay of nucleus diff element - radioactive decay give off particles } energy - = + mass # protons neutrons - - atomic weight avg mass of all naturally occurring isotopes > Electrons - vary in amount of nrg they possess a - electromagnetic light e - - Kinetic due to motion always has - stored in potential object - - of the of temperature measure average KE particles - - farther back nucleus - more P E E has from be at certain distances only shells of changing input energy - z - 8 - 8 16 . FULL SHELL not react valence ( ) CHEMICAL BONDS > COVALENT BONDS - 2 atoms share a pair of valence electrons fill valence shell - double Or triple bonds - - electro negativities attraction for electrons - C , H , N , O polar diff eiectroneg . ( area w| diff charge ) partial in in low - - high Non polar similar eiectroneg > BONDS IONIC - - electron - e from low . very eg atom strip electron eg - electrical ions charge ( ) . +1 ( loss ) . -1 L ) gain - = attract 2 atoms near ionic bond opposite bring > HYDROGEN BONDS - weak bonds between +120 - 3 ( - H 01N in polar bonds opposites attract weakly )
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit