General Chemistry I
Midterm Examination, Fall 2012
University of Guelph, Department of Chemistry
VERSION 01 – GREY
Family Name (print neatly):
First Name (print neatly):
Student ID Number:
Instructions: This examination consists of thicover page, 4 pages of questions and a
data page. Please check that you have all pages. The data page may be
removed and used for rough work, but it will be graded.
No notes, printed material of any kind or communication with other students
are permitted. Programmable calculators aret permitted. For page 5, only
work in ink will be considered for re-grading.
You should have a GREY coloured test scoring answer sheet.
Multiple choice answers must be recorded inPENCIL on the Test Scoring
Answer Sheet within the time given for the examination. On side 1 of the
Test Scoring Answer Sheet:
1. Print your family nameand first name initial(s) in the appropriate boxes.
2. Fill in the circles with your name and first name initial(s).
3. Print your 7-digit STUDENT ID number in the appropriate boxes
including leading zeros (e.g., 0123456).
4. Fill in the circles with your STUDENT ID number.
5. Enter “01” for the “section number” (to represent this version of exam)
6. Leave the E-mail ID section blank.
7. Record your answers within the examination period (i.e., 90 minutes).
Written Page ( page )
PART A: Multiple Choice Section [2 points each]
For each question, circle the letter of the one correctanswer and enter the answer on the Test Scoring Sheet in
pencil. The Test Scoring Answer Sheet will be considered fina l. Answers must be transferred to the Test Scoring
Answer Sheet within the examination period. There is no penalty for incorrect answers.
1. Which one of the following atoms in its ground state is diamagnetic?
a. F b. N c. B d. Ca e. Si
2. What is the electron configuration of Fe 3+
a. [Ar] 3d 4s 2
b. [Ar] 3d 4s
c. [Ar] 3d 4s 1
d. [Ar] 3d 6
e. [Ar] 3d
3. In which of the following lists do the ions NOT appear in the order of i
ncreasing ionic radius?
+ + +