GEO 106 Chapter 6: Chapter 6 - Time, Space, and Time-Space
Bats are capable of navigating using the earth's field-a plus for an animal that may fly great distances from its roost at night. If, while sleeping during the day, bats are exposed to a field of a similar magnitude but different direction than the earth's field, they are more likely to lose their way during their next lengthy night flight. Suppose you are a researcher doing such an experiment in a location where the earth's field is 50 at a 60 angle below horizontal. You make a 60 diameter, 200-turn coil around a roosting box; the sleeping bats are at the center of the coil. You wish to pass a current through the coil to produce a field that, when combined with the earth's field, creates a net field with the same strength and dip angle (60 below horizontal) as the earth's field but with a horizontal component that points south rather than north. What is the necessary current?
1. An object is dropped from a height.Once it is moving,which ofthe following statements are true,at least at one point?
a)its velocity is more than its accelerations
b)its velocity is less than its acceleration
c)its velocity is the same as its acceleration
d)its velocity is never equal to its acceleration
2. Which type of quantity is characterized by both magnitude anddirection?
3. A hiker walks 200m west and then walks 100m north. In whatdirection is her resulting displacement?
d)none of the answer is correct
4. Vector 1 is 7 units long and is at 70 degree. Vector 2 is 5units long and is at 225 degree. Vector 3 is a 3 units long and isat 150 degree. Which vector has equal magnitude components?
d)none of the vectors has equal magnitude components??????
5. Which of the following is an example of the type of force thatacts at a distance?
d)all of the above
6. A crate weight W is being pushed across a horizontal surface bya force directed at an angle of 20 degrees below the horizontal.What is the magnitude of the normal force on the crate?
a)it is less then W
b)it equals W
c)it is more than W
d)none of the above since the coefficient of kinetic friction isnot given
7. The net force on an object is in the positive x-direction.Consider the following statements.
(i) The object can be moving in the negative x-direction.
(ii) The object can be speeding up.
(iii) The object can be slowing down.
(iv) The object can be moving in the positive y-direction.
Which of the statements are true?
a. (i) and (ii)
b. (ii) and (iii)
c. (iii) and (iv)
d. Choose this answer if all the statements are true.
8.The work done by static friction can be:
d. Any of the above.
9.The rate at which work is done is equivalent to which of thefollowing?
a. increase in potential energy
b. thermal energy
c. potential energy
10.The dimensional equivalent of the quantity impulse in terms ofthe fundamental quantities (mass, length,
time) is which of the following?
11. The dimensional equivalence of the quantity "momentum" in termsof the fundamental quantities (mass,
length, time) is:
12.In order for a satellite to be geosynchronous, its orbitmust:
a. go over the North and South Poles.
b. be over the equator.
c. be over a single longitude.
d. emit television signals.
13. The quantity "angular momentum" (in terms of the fundamentalquantities of mass, length, and time) is equivalent