Connecting Theory and Research
-Conflict Theorist: generally concerned with struggle over scarce resources by
different groups in society and how elites use power to control the less powerful.
- Functionalist Perspective: Would be interested in the smooth functioning of
society. (ex. how families contribute to social stability)
- Both of these are considered macro theories and they ask large questions.
- Symbolic Interactionism: micro perspective, face to face encounters and meanings
that people use to facilitate in social life.
- Quantitative: research with numbers.
- Qualitative: research focuses on explaining social behavior. More in depth, smaller
- Inductive Logic: moves from data to theory
- Deductive logic: Theory to data. Quantitative Style.
Steps in the Research Process
- Sociologists follow Scientific Method: systematic approach researchers follow in
their quest for answers to a research problem.
- Hypothesis: a statement about a particular relationship that can be tested
- Independent Variable: variable that the